Are you interested in doing an ASMR-related research project but not sure how to begin?
Try using the general steps below to get you started:
Step 1: Get a local mentor. Approach a faculty member at your school, college, or university and ask them to be your research mentor. Don’t go it alone. Your mentor will help you to come up with your research idea, help you to collect your data, and to make sure you are doing it legally, ethically, and correctly.
Step 2: Create a project idea. Brainstorm on an ASMR-related research project that feels appropriate to you and your mentor. Browse THIS PAGE for ASMR project ideas and inspiration.
Step 3: Get IRB approval. Request approval for your project from an ethics committee if your project involves humans (which is likely). These committees are often called Institutional Review Boards (IRB) or Human Studies Review Committees and may be located at your institution or at a nearby college, university, hospital, or other medical institution.
- Click here for more information about IRBs.
- Use THIS LINK to find a nearby IRB by typing in the name of a nearby institution next to “IRB Name:” and then hitting “Search”.
- Once you find a local IRB, then just call or email the contact person and they will assist you from there.
Step 4: Share your data. Publishing your data in a peer-reviewed journal is the best way to share it. If your project and goals are less formal, then I would be happy to write about you and your findings on this website – just send me an email at email@example.com. See the examples on THIS PAGE for how I will happily share your published or unpublished findings so others can learn what you discovered.
Looking for some ASMR research ideas and inspiration?
- Click HERE to read a blog post with ASMR research ideas.
- In the blog post I highlight many specific and general ASMR experiments that would help to progress the understanding of ASMR.
- Click HERE to read about other ASMR research projects.
- Get inspired by the works of others
- Click HERE to read interviews with ASMR researchers.
- Many interviews include helpful information about research challenges and research tips for success.
- Click HERE to read books and articles about ASMR.
- The more you know about ASMR the better your project will be.
- Click HERE to read interviews with ASMR artists.
- In many interviews I ask the artist what would be a good ASMR-related experiment to do. These are very insightful individuals with terrific ideas. Read their replies for inspiration.